Matar mushrooms or Mushrooms and peas in a tomato and onion gravy has become our go-to dish, which Jugnu and I enjoy almost every other week. It is easy to prepare, full of flavours, healthy and nutritious.
I remember ordering it in restaurants, and always wondered how do they nullify the strong taste of mushroom and make it so yummy. I know the mantra now, and that indeed is patience :). Let’s quickly check out the ingredients to prepare easy and delicious matar mushrooms.
Ingredients for Matar Mushroom
- 250 gms white mushrooms (cut into pieces)
- 1 cup matar (peas) – I took the frozen ones
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1.5 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder (Jugni’s Tip – To keep it healthy, I add green chillies instead)
- Salt as per taste (I added 1tbsp)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste (I was out of fresh tomatoes, you can add 2 medium tomatoes puree)
- 1 cup whole milk
- handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tsp – garam masala (optional)
- NO BUTTER NO CREAM
Preparation for Matar Mushrooms
- Heat 2 pans. Add water and frozen peas (matar) in one of the pans, let it boil for about 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, add oil to the second pan (deep one).
- Add chopped onion and let it cook until brown (around 4 minutes), then add cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste.
- Let it cook for a minute, and then add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric and chilli powder. (keep stirring).
JUGNI’s TIP – while adding masalas (step 4), put the flame to the lowest so that the masalas don’t get burned out, also splash some water if needed.
- After a minute, add tomato paste and give a quick stir, since its a paste, the mixture would look a lil dry, so add 1/2 cup of milk immediately and put the gas on medium flame, wait for it come to a boil.
- When boiling, add boiled peas(from step 1), put the gas on the lowest flame, cover it with the lid (add 1/2 glass water if milk thickens out) and let it cook for good 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- The water/milk will reduced to half or less than that, in the gravy, then add the mushrooms. Put the flame on medium and stir it for a minute. The mushrooms would leave some water.
- After a minute of stirring mushrooms in the curry, check consistency and add rest of the milk (1/2 cup or more as per your liking).
- Put the gas on low flame and let the curry cook in the covered pan for another 8-10 minutes. (The mushrooms will reduce in size – the indication that it has been cooked).
- Turn the gas off, add garam masala (optional) and garnish with coriander leaves.
JUGNI’s TIP – Coriander leaves when blend with the curry/gravy of mushroom, gives an amazing flavour and tastes great, so it is highly recommended.
Jugnu is a big fan of coriander leaves, and makes sure to garnish his bowl with a few of these.
Matar mushrooms can be enjoyed with Indian roti / naan, bread, tortillas , or with steamed or cumin rice. You can make the gravy richer, by adding cashew paste or cream.
I am gonna enjoy this in lunch today with some tortillas, let me know if you would like to give it a try. 🙂
If you like my recipe, give a thumbs up or share it on social media. 🙂
It’s looking good 👌
Thank you ❤️